Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
can I dig up bulbs?????

can I dig up bulbs?????
Posted by Cindi Began from AL on 2002-01-29 20:53:29

Help - I too am a "newbie" at gardening, but have fallen in love with it. I now live in Alabama. I planted A LOT of daffodil and tulip bulbs in late November. Now it looks as if we may move to northwest Illinois in Feb or March. Can I dig up my bulbs and replant them in Illinois? If so what do I need to do to preserve the bulbs during transport, and can I plant them when we arrive?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Digging up spring flowering bulbs
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-01-31 07:56:11

Not a good idea. Those bulbs are growing now and will be getting ready to blossom in Ala about that time (unless the current weather pattern holds) with roots set.
    • Digging bulbs
      Posted by Cal S. from NY, 4/5 on 2002-02-20 12:55:26

I'd give it a try. Put in plastic bag SLIGHTLY moistened. Replant as soon as possible and water-in well. As alrady mentioned, bulbs are tough. I planted some daffodils in the spring after they just "sat around" all winter and they grew foliage just fine and a year later bloomed.
    • Bulbs are very harder!
      Posted by thelast1 from Pa. on 2002-02-17 13:05:45

Here an idea....
      Dig up cut off any growing area, stick in plastic sandwich bags. I have left blubs in a empty flower pot out in our garage over the winter that did not get planted before the first frost to found them growing in the empty pot with no dirt!I was amazed and plated them they did not bloom that spring just grew with leaves but the following they did very well.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —