Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Snap Dragons

Snap Dragons
Posted by DW from CA/So. CA Inlan on 2002-01-27 13:04:11

I've planted Snap Dragons for the last three years in Sept. or Oct. and when I bring them home they have many blooms, however they never bloom again. It is my understanding they should bloom until March. This year I put them in pots so the soil would be as rich as possible and I fertilize my flowers regularly. I've moved them into full sun and then moved them to part shade nothing works for. Thanks for any help.
  • snapdragons
    Posted by Gwen from Mi/5 on 2002-01-28 16:04:20

Quoting DW: ------------
    -I've planted Snap Dragons for the last three years in Sept. or Oct. and when I bring them home they have many blooms, however they never bloom again. It is my understanding they should bloom until March. This year I put them in pots so the soil would be as rich as possible and I fertilize my flowers regularly. I've moved them into full sun and then moved them to part shade nothing works for. Thanks for any help.

-Snapdragons are like that. Their blooms are short lived,but if you "give them a haircut" and wait a couple weeks they will grow bushier(a little shorter) and produce new blossoms and look great. To trim I just grab a handfull of the tops(the spent blooms and maybe a little more),and use my scissors and cut. Unfortunately there is no color for a short time but when they do rebloom they look great!
    I live in zone 5 so snaps are an annual here so I only get one rebloom. But in fall I let the flowers go to seed and they set seed the following spring. I haven't replanted my snaps in three years!
    • Snapdragons
      Posted by Sunny from AB/3 on 2002-02-16 00:15:07

Quoting Gwen: ------------
      -Quoting DW: ------------
      -I've planted Snap Dragons for the last three years in Sept. or Oct. and when I bring them home they have many blooms, however they never bloom again. It is my understanding they should bloom until March. This year I put them in pots so the soil would be as rich as possible and I fertilize my flowers regularly. I've moved them into full sun and then moved them to part shade nothing works for. Thanks for any help.

-Snapdragons are like that. Their blooms are short lived,but if you "give them a haircut" and wait a couple weeks they will grow bushier(a little shorter) and produce new blossoms and look great. To trim I just grab a handfull of the tops(the spent blooms and maybe a little more),and use my scissors and cut. Unfortunately there is no color for a short time but when they do rebloom they look great!
      -I live in zone 5 so snaps are an annual here so I only get one rebloom. But in fall I let the flowers go to seed and they set seed the following spring. I haven't replanted my snaps in three years!

snapdragons

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —