Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Impatiens

Impatiens
Posted by Alice Swanson (aswan@emily.net) from MN/3 on 2002-01-26 21:08:19

What is the best mixture for starting these seeds? I had a hard time with them last year. Can someone tell me what to plant them in, in light or dark and anymore helpful info would be appreciated.
  • Impatiens
    Posted by Jackie Kegley (jjkegley@msn.com) from NE 5 on 2002-03-01 08:12:23

Quoting Alice Swanson: ------------
    -What is the best mixture for starting these seeds? I had a hard time with them last year. Can someone tell me what to plant them in, in light or dark and anymore helpful info would be appreciated.

Alice,
    I plant a lot of impatiens seeds.
    I use Jiffy Mix and plant them on top of the mix. Impatiens need light to germinate so don't cover them. Cover your flat with plastic to keep the moisture in. They should germinate in about 10 days. I find that the seeds that I have saved are much hardier than the one I purchase.
    Good luck, Jackie
    • How do you collect impatiens seeds
      Posted by Brett from Tennessee/7 on 2002-03-06 13:58:10

Could you describe the process that you use of when/how to collect impatiens seeds. Every year i always have some volunteers come up from the previous year, but haven't really ever noticed impatiens having seeds.

Quoting Jackie Kegley: ------------
      -Quoting Alice Swanson: ------------
      -What is the best mixture for starting these seeds? I had a hard time with them last year. Can someone tell me what to plant them in, in light or dark and anymore helpful info would be appreciated.

-Alice,
      -I plant a lot of impatiens seeds.
      -I use Jiffy Mix and plant them on top of the mix. Impatiens need light to germinate so don't cover them. Cover your flat with plastic to keep the moisture in. They should germinate in about 10 days. I find that the seeds that I have saved are much hardier than the one I purchase.
      -Good luck, Jackie
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —