Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Corn plant woes

Corn plant woes
Posted by Kaye from Ontario, Canada on 2002-01-26 19:49:00

We have a 14 yr old corn plant, and there are some small brown spots on some of the leaves. Later the whole leaf turns brown and shrivels. I think the lower leaves tend to do this as they shed their leaves. but I don't think the spots are normal. Any help would be appreciated.
  • corn plant
    Posted by Will Creed from NY on 2002-01-29 15:15:30

Leaf discoloration occurs when the soil is too dry or too wet; when the light is too low; when roots are compacted at the bottom of the pot; and when mineral salts from excess fertilizer or hard water build up in the soil. (Someone will advise you that low humidity is the cause, but that is not true. This plant will do very well in low humidity, as well as low light.)

If the roots are compacted at the bottom of the pot, then add a couple of inches of soil at the bottom of the pot.

Quoting Kaye: ------------
    -We have a 14 yr old corn plant, and there are some small brown spots on some of the leaves. Later the whole leaf turns brown and shrivels. I think the lower leaves tend to do this as they shed their leaves. but I don't think the spots are normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Will Creed

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —