Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
need ideas for step area

need ideas for step area
Posted by dani from south on 2002-01-26 18:31:39

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem, and I wasn't sure if this was the proper place to post or not. My problem is my steps and the area around them. We have a flower bed built on each side of the steps. But there is an approximate 2ft area from edge of flower bed and step that fills up with leaves, dirt, etc. and is impossible to clean! The area around the steps is concrete, but we have the ornamental gravels imbedded into the concrete, which is an extremely bumpy surface. We never had any idea it would be this hard to sweep and clean, or we probably would have done it a little differently! My question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this problem? I would appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks a million.
  • step area
    Posted by Lori (watt2120@aol.com) from PA/5 Yes, 5, I' on 2002-03-26 11:27:34

Quoting dani: ------------
    - My problem is my steps and the area around them. We have a flower bed built on each side of the steps. But there is an approximate 2ft area from edge of flower bed and step that fills up with leaves, dirt, etc. and is impossible to clean! The area around the steps is concrete, but we have the ornamental gravels imbedded into the concrete, which is an extremely bumpy surface... hard to sweep and clean... does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this problem? I would appreciate any tips or advice.

-Thanks a million.

I had a similar problem 3 years ago... the flower beds were too large for the front, and leaves would collect between the beds and the river-rock put in by the last owner, plus the concrete was very light in color.
    I planted bulbs & pansies in the beds, and allowed the grass to meet the bed, mowing right up to them. They grow right back, and tolerate raking (no more edging there!) I even had pansies come up at New Year's and in February this year. But the steps and gravel were a problem, and the pansies died out in the midsummer sun. My budget from buying the house was limited, and it was mid-June...
    my mother overbought geraniums, petunias, and vinca vine for her pots, so I threw them in, and by this time a couple of well placed morning glory seeds with their fat foliage helped blend the gravel with the downspout and the sidestep. The rest filled in very nicely and quickly; the pansies came back one more time in the fall!
    If you can believe it, that spring and for the last three years, everything has come back on its own; the vinca is even a pest if I let it! All I do to clean up the area now is trim with the mower, scissor any stragglers, and rake lightly with a child's bamboo rake or broom. I can also hose it down with mild dish soap if we get some muddy rain...
    Each year the pansies have come back a different tint than before... I usually try to coordinate my planters at the door.

OK, that's the novel...

Lori
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —