Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
a fat chipmunk

a fat chipmunk
Posted by Robin from Ohio on 2002-01-26 10:15:59

Last summer, a chipmunk (I presume from the holes) ate Every Single One of my much anticipated roses. He ate them as soon as the bloomed! Any suggestion of how I can put the nix to this "little" pest before he can devour my flowers again this year?
  • Chipmunk
    Posted by kathleen from MI/5 on 2002-02-11 11:14:25

Hi Robin,

Hmmm...never knew of one to eat rose buds...I know they LOVE strawberries. Perhaps a little desert before the main course will fill them up. Of course, you shouldn't put the strawberries anywhere near the roses. In all seriousness, there are some "repellants" that claim to deter the little guys, but I have never had any luck. I just try to lure them away with something else.

Lewis Gardens:Gardening and Perennial Resource

• chipmunk
      Posted by Robin from Ohio on 2002-02-11 15:09:53

Hiya, Kathleen,

Thank you for the ideas. I did bait the chunky rodent from my roses by using shelled peanuts. He ate them AND my roses AND my wild strawberries. That's how I presume he got to be so chunky. Maybe I should try fattier foods...at this rate I could probably cause him to go into cardiac arrest with an abrupt scare. _chuckle

~Robin

Quoting kathleen: ------------
      -Hi Robin,

-Hmmm...never knew of one to eat rose buds...I know they LOVE strawberries. Perhaps a little desert before the main course will fill them up. Of course, you shouldn't put the strawberries anywhere near the roses. In all seriousness, there are some "repellants" that claim to deter the little guys, but I have never had any luck. I just try to lure them away with something else.
      • chipmonk
        Posted by Jody from Iowa zone 4 on 2002-05-22 09:05:45

I wonder if you sprinkle the roses with hot pepper of some type - I know that would stop me!!!Quoting Robin: ------------
        -Hiya, Kathleen,

-Thank you for the ideas. I did bait the chunky rodent from my roses by using shelled peanuts. He ate them AND my roses AND my wild strawberries. That's how I presume he got to be so chunky. Maybe I should try fattier foods...at this rate I could probably cause him to go into cardiac arrest with an abrupt scare. _chuckle

~Robin

-Quoting kathleen: ------------
        -Hi Robin,

-Hmmm...never knew of one to eat rose buds...I know they LOVE strawberries. Perhaps a little desert before the main course will fill them up. Of course, you shouldn't put the strawberries anywhere near the roses. In all seriousness, there are some "repellants" that claim to deter the little guys, but I have never had any luck. I just try to lure them away with something else.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —