Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
crape myrtles

crape myrtles
Posted by nancy from ny -7a on 2002-01-25 17:15:45

I just bought my house in May and there were some shrubs in front that were "cut back" so that about 6-10" of branches were showing (5 plants in all). When they grew back and bloomed, we found out that they were mini crape myrtles that grew to about 3.5 - 4' tall. Am I supposed to cut them back again? I heard that you are not supposed to cut them back. Also, they are too big for this area of the yard. They cover the porch windows. How do I safely move them and when? thanks!
  • Crepe myrtles
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-26 14:04:12

Quoting nancy: ------------
    -I just bought my house in May and there were some shrubs in front that were "cut back" so that about 6-10" of branches were showing (5 plants in all). When they grew back and bloomed, we found out that they were mini crape myrtles that grew to about 3.5 - 4' tall. Am I supposed to cut them back again? I heard that you are not supposed to cut them back. Also, they are too big for this area of the yard. They cover the porch windows. How do I safely move them and when? thanks!

I would suggest that you move them in the early spring or sometime around September. I don't know if you are experiencing the same drought we are having here in Maryland, but you will have to water them often for the first year after moving.

As to their pruning care, I would suggest that you go to a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web and post this on the 'Shrubs' forum. I am including a link to their main forums page. I am sure you will get a faster response there as well.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —