Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Pruning

Pruning
Posted by Brian from Connecticut on 2002-01-24 14:52:04

What is the best type of clippers to get for rose bushes?
  • Pruners
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-01-27 07:42:13

The best type are ones that feel comfortable in your hands so you would use them. Aside from that there are those ranging in price from about $6.00 to alomst $100.00. Felco and Fiskars make several pruners in wide price ranges and my current Felco #9 I've found to be quite comfortable to use versus some others I've had at considerably less cost. I have also found that the "bypass" type are better than the "anvil" type and that is something difficyult to explain although the "bypass" type generally cut plant tissue rather than crush that tissue as the "anvil" type tend to do.
    • Pruners
      Posted by bRIAN from CT on 2002-01-31 10:12:37

Thanks Kimm. By-pass is what I was looking for.

Happy gardening.

Quoting Kimm: ------------
      -The best type are ones that feel comfortable in your hands so you would use them. Aside from that there are those ranging in price from about $6.00 to alomst $100.00. Felco and Fiskars make several pruners in wide price ranges and my current Felco #9 I've found to be quite comfortable to use versus some others I've had at considerably less cost. I have also found that the "bypass" type are better than the "anvil" type and that is something difficyult to explain although the "bypass" type generally cut plant tissue rather than crush that tissue as the "anvil" type tend to do.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —