Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
shammrock

shammrock
Posted by ole' bud from ohio/5 on 2002-01-23 11:58:55

DO SHAMMROCK PLANTS LIKE SUN, SHADE, MOISTURE OR DROUGHT??????
  • Shamrock
    Posted by Carole (caroles1@our-plants.com) from NY on 2002-02-12 11:19:29

Hello ole' bud,

I have a shamrock that I just love!! I have the purple and the green one in the same pot. Yes they love to be root bound. Mine has been blooming for a long time. If you go to http://www.our-plants.com click on the button that says "My Plants" You will see various pics of my shamrock. I have had mine since July and it is February and it still hasnt stopped blooming. I water every three days just enough till it runs out the bottom of the pot. I have it on my desk right in front of a very bright south window. Hope this helps ya out some. Please do keep me posted as how yours does. These are really awsome plants!
    Carole

Our-Plants

• Shamrock
    Posted by Will Creed from NYC on 2002-01-23 21:25:54

Shamrock is known botanically as Oxalis. All Oxalis' require the same basic care. They have a winter dormant period that must be respected. Starting in September, stop fertilizing and gradually reduce the frequency of watering over the next month. The leaves will gradually die.

By mid October you should stop watering altogether and move your Oxalis to a cool, dark place where you can ignore it until February.

In February, you will see some signs of life. That is the signal that you can resume normal watering and fertilizing and move it to a sunny windowsill. Continue this routine until next September. It does best when moderately potbound.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email:wcreed@erols.com

P.S. You may be interested in my website at http://horthelp.homestead.com and my Indoor Plant Bulletins that I publish monthly.

Quoting ole' bud: ------------
    -DO SHAMMROCK PLANTS LIKE SUN, SHADE, MOISTURE OR DROUGHT??????

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —