Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
DEER

DEER
Posted by sue (smurph1029@aol.com) from washington on 2002-01-22 00:36:25

Just moved to Western Washington and I need to know what type of flowers and bulbs I can plant that deer will not eat and I mean we do have a Deer problem..I do not want to spray or hang things from branched I want to plant things that deer do not like..please help
  • reply to DEER
    Posted by Kathleen from MI/5 on 2002-01-26 10:57:58

Hi Sue, a few things to keep in mind when trying to deter deer: 1) when hungry, they will eat just about anything, and 2) some plants that deer dislike may be harmful to your pets. If the deer are approaching your property from the "back", planting thorny shrub roses along the back side of your garden may keep them out - if they are planted close together enough and they are at least three feet tall. Here is a web site that has a long list of plants deer tend to avoid.

Lewis Gardens - Gardening and the Care of Perennials

• DEER
    Posted by Bert from GA on 2002-01-22 08:56:18

Quoting sue: ------------
    -Just moved to Western Washington and I need to know what type of flowers and bulbs I can plant that deer will not eat and I mean we do have a Deer problem..I do not want to spray or hang things from branched I want to plant things that deer do not like..please help

'Deer resistant' needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but the following are less palatable to them.

Allium, Camassia, Chionodoxa, Daffodil, Frittelaria, Crocosmia, Hyacinth, Leucojum, Muscari, Narcissus, Ornithogalum, Scilla, Snowdrops, Astilbe, Bleeding Heart, Dahlia.

Touch of Nature, Inc.

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —