Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Bulbs flowering too early!!

Bulbs flowering too early!!
Posted by James Isabella from DE on 2002-01-18 17:12:30

I have a problem.

I'm a relatively new gardener and my wife and I planted several bulbs around the house last fall. We followed the directions about planting before the first frost and everything seemed to be going great - until, that is, the unusually warm weather started. Unfortunately, the warm weather caused a couple of my bulbs to sprout and start growing.

Will this be a problem come spring for these bulbs? If so, is there anything I can do about it now?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!!

~Jim
  • Spring bulbs flowering early?
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-01-22 07:07:07

Spring flowering bulbs, Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus, Hyacinth, are all pretty hardy and should not be greatly affected. I've have had some blossoming through the snow here and the only thing I've noticed is they tend to stay in blossom longer in colder weather. Even with the unusually warm weather we have been having none of my spring bulbs are starting to show, yet, but at church and at the Monet garden downtown where some bulbs did not get planted at the "proper" depth some are showing up. A general rule of thumb for planting spring bulbs is to plant them 3 to 4 times the diameter of the bulb, or as in the case of Daffodils about 8 to 10 inches deep and I've found that when planted much less than that the bulbs come up too early.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —