Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
which shrub/bush is good for all year round?

which shrub/bush is good for all year round?
Posted by nancy from new york/zone 7 on 2002-01-17 12:54:43

Hello! I need some help...we just bought a house that has a bare flower bed right up against the front of the house. It looke so bare - I would love to find something that stays green all year long - preferably not something that flowers and dose not have a max. growth of more than 2.5 feet tall. If we plant bushes/hedges that grow too tall, we will cover the porch windows! This is an area of morning sun/afternoon shade. Any suggestions?
  • Laurel Otto Luyken
    Posted by Kellie from VA/7 on 2002-03-14 08:37:08

Quoting nancy: ------------
    -Hello! I need some help...we just bought a house that has a bare flower bed right up against the front of the house. It looke so bare - I would love to find something that stays green all year long - preferably not something that flowers and dose not have a max. growth of more than 2.5 feet tall. If we plant bushes/hedges that grow too tall, we will cover the porch windows! This is an area of morning sun/afternoon shade. Any suggestions?

The Prunus laurocerasus "Otto Luyken" is a beautiful evergreen with wide deep green glossy leaves 2-4"long and creamy white flower spikes 3-5" in summer, plus small black fruit in fall. Max height 4' with a nice broad spread to 6-8'. Easy to prune, dense foliage, takes part to full sun.

Good luck!
  • Dear Nancy
    Posted by Pinballer from Colorado on 2002-01-17 22:31:37

You might try a Korean Boxwood. "Green Velvet" grows 24"x24" and is good to zone 5. Good luck.

Go to Wayside Gardens website for a picture.
    • your advice on Korean boxwood
      Posted by Nancy from new york on 2002-01-19 14:28:42

Pinballer - Thanks so much for the advice - I have now looked up several different pictures of the boxwoods and I think they look great! I love the shape!
    • Korean Boxwood
      Posted by Nancy from NY on 2002-01-19 14:26:23

Quoting Pinballer: ------------
      -You might try a Korean Boxwood. "Green Velvet" grows 24"x24" and is good to zone 5. Good luck.

-Go to Wayside Gardens website for a picture.
      • Boxwood disease
        Posted by Shari from In on 2005-06-30 09:55:00

I have a boxwood in a container and it's leaves are turning yellow and it looks like parts of it is dying. Does anyone know what my problem is and how to remedy it? It is so beautiful and I don't want to loose it.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —