Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Hoyas

Hoyas
Posted by Thelma Jenkins (darbyjenkins@pei.sympatico.ca) from Prince Edward I on 2002-01-16 11:29:33

About a year ago I recieved two hoya slips. I planted them in two small pots and until now they just sat there. Recently, some of the leaves have turned a brownish yellow color and gone spongy. Any suggestions???
  • possibilities
    Posted by Nan from 4/WI on 2002-01-18 14:10:17

Hi Thelma! I'm wondering if your hoyas aren't getting enough light, or are being over-watered, or are too cold, or possibly all of the above or any cobination? Mine like to go almost bone-dry before I water again, and they do their best with very bright light, either a bright east window or a west window, or even a south window. They'll do as you describe, also when too moist and cold at the same time.
    Quoting Thelma Jenkins: ------------
    -About a year ago I recieved two hoya slips. I planted them in two small pots and until now they just sat there. Recently, some of the leaves have turned a brownish yellow color and gone spongy. Any suggestions???
    • hoyas
      Posted by Doris M. Ross (doris8362000@yahoo.com) from IN on 2002-03-01 21:55:52

Quoting Nan: ------------
      -Hi Thelma! I'm wondering if your hoyas aren't getting enough light, or are being over-watered, or are too cold, or possibly all of the above or any cobination? Mine like to go almost bone-dry before I water again, and they do their best with very bright light, either a bright east window or a west window, or even a south window. They'll do as you describe, also when too moist and cold at the same time.
      -Quoting Thelma Jenkins: ------------
      -About a year ago I recieved two hoya slips. I planted them in two small pots and until now they just sat there. Recently, some of the leaves have turned a brownish yellow color and gone spongy. Any suggestions???

Doris M. Ross

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —