Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
old fashioned elephant ears

old fashioned elephant ears
Posted by Ellyne from IA 5 on 2002-01-13 10:35:13

HI!
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A PLANT OR FLOWER CALLED ELEPHANT EAR. A PENPAL ASKED ME IF I KNEW WHERE SHE COULD GET OLD FASHIONED ELEPHANT EAR, NOT AT ALL RELATED TO THE CALADIUM FAMILY. I AM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN NEW AND DIFFERENT PLANTS, I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOME. HELP!
  • Elephant ear
    Posted by Kathie from 8b on 2002-01-17 16:40:16

Quoting Ellyne: ------------
    -HI!
    -CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A PLANT OR FLOWER CALLED ELEPHANT EAR. A PENPAL ASKED ME IF I KNEW WHERE SHE COULD GET OLD FASHIONED ELEPHANT EAR, NOT AT ALL RELATED TO THE CALADIUM FAMILY. I AM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN NEW AND DIFFERENT PLANTS, I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOME. HELP!
    • elephant ear plants
      Posted by debi pietrusza (debip1@verizon.net) from red lion, pa. on 2005-06-18 04:40:00

I got mine at Wal-mart!!!
      • ELEPHANT EAR PLANT
        Posted by DOROTHY WILLIAMS (BandDWILL1@PEOPLEPC.COM) from KENTUCKY on 2005-10-25 07:28:00

I HAVE A ELEPHANT EAR PLANT.I WOUND LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO SAVE IT FOR NEXT YEAR. I HAVE NO GREEN HOUSE.

• again
      Posted by Kathie from 8b on 2002-01-17 16:45:14

Quoting Kathie: ------------
      -Quoting Ellyne: ------------
      -HI!
      -CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A PLANT OR FLOWER CALLED ELEPHANT EAR. A PENPAL ASKED ME IF I KNEW WHERE SHE COULD GET OLD FASHIONED ELEPHANT EAR, NOT AT ALL RELATED TO THE CALADIUM FAMILY. I AM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN NEW AND DIFFERENT PLANTS, I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOME. HELP!

Alocasia, colocasia, taro = elephant ear. There is a black variety that is very popular this year. Park's Seed, Wayside Gardens. Plant Delights has the most varieties that I know of. They're on the web. Good Luck!
      • elephant ear
        Posted by Ellyne (ellynekbb@home.com) from IA 5 on 2002-01-17 18:08:20

Quoting Kathie: ------------
        -Quoting Kathie: ------------
        -HI!

-Alocasia, colocasia, taro = elephant ear. There is a black variety that is very popular this year. Park's Seed, Wayside Gardens. Plant Delights has the most varieties that I know of. They're on the web. Good Luck!

Kathie, those are all in the caladium family. Thanks for helping, I appreciate the reply.
        • Description?
          Posted by Nan from Wi / 4 on 2002-01-18 14:04:01

Hi Ellyne: There are actually quite a few plants that are commonly called 'Elephant Ear'....Philodendron bipinnatifidum is one
          Philodendron selloum is another
          Acanthus is another, and there's a tree called Elephant Ear....Enterolobium cyclocarpum, and, there are a few begonias referred to as 'Elephant Ear Begonia' (B.Erythrophylla, B. Scharfii, B. San Miguel.....I'd bet she's referring to one of the philodendrons.....
          Quoting Ellyne: ------------
          -HI!

-Alocasia, colocasia, taro = elephant ear. There is a black variety that is very popular this year. Park's Seed, Wayside Gardens. Plant Delights has the most varieties that I know of. They're on the web. Good Luck!

-Kathie, those are all in the caladium family. Thanks for helping, I appreciate the reply.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —