Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Hyacinths coming up

Hyacinths coming up
Posted by Josephine from NJ on 2002-01-07 13:12:14

My hyacinths are starting to come up. They have been planted for several years. Is there anything I can do to stop it. It snowed here for the first time yesterday. We've had a pretty mild winter and I thought bulbs had to have a long cold spell before they could grow again. Any information is appreciated.
  • Are you sure you...
    Posted by Iris from OH on 2002-01-14 21:25:02

Hello, I read your post and wondered if you are sure you planted those bulbs at least 6" deep or more? This is usually typical of bulbs that are being "forced" out of the ground due to freezing and thawing of the ground. I would take the other suggestion to at least mulch them now to keep your bulbs moderately chilled and hope for the best this spring!
    • hyacinths
      Posted by Josephine from nj on 2002-01-15 09:00:42

Yes, they are. I planted them several years ago and this has never happened. They are mulched becuase I don't remove it until spring when I replace it. The strange thing is is that I thought bulbs need a long cold period before they could bloom? It hasn't been cold at all until about 3 weeks ago, up until that point our temps were unseasonably warm, sometimes in the 70's. I will try to go out this weekend and cover them uo with some extra mulch. Thanks.

Quoting Iris: ------------
      -Hello, I read your post and wondered if you are sure you planted those bulbs at least 6" deep or more? This is usually typical of bulbs that are being "forced" out of the ground due to freezing and thawing of the ground. I would take the other suggestion to at least mulch them now to keep your bulbs moderately chilled and hope for the best this spring!
  • Happens to me, too
    Posted by Kathleen from MI/5 on 2002-01-10 18:30:52

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do right now. They will be fine, though. Even if it does get colder, the foliage will again die back and re-emerge in the spring. When the temps drop and the ground is good and hard, you can mulch - this will keep the cold "in" Hope you find this helpful.

www.lewisgardens.com

• hyacinth
      Posted by Josephine Kukla from NJ on 2002-01-11 08:48:34

Thanks Kathleen. I will try to put more mulch on, since I already have some on there.

Quoting Kathleen: ------------
      -Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do right now. They will be fine, though. Even if it does get colder, the foliage will again die back and re-emerge in the spring. When the temps drop and the ground is good and hard, you can mulch - this will keep the cold "in" Hope you find this helpful.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —