Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Nellie Stevens Holly

Nellie Stevens Holly
Posted by Jean Schmidt from Missouri Zon on 2002-01-06 14:23:43

I am interested in growing a Nellie Stevens Hollie, but what I've learned is that this species is not hardy in zone 5. Is this accurate; and would it be worth my effort to try; or is there another similar cultivat that is hardy in zone 5 which will be similar to the Nellie Stevens

Nellie Stevens Holly

• Nellie Stevens Holly
    Posted by Lynn from Zn 5 on 2002-01-11 20:38:34

You are right that Nellie Stevens Holly is not recommended for Zone 5. Sorry that I have no other recommendations for you. But why not visit some of the nicer nurseries in your area, and speak with several experts to see what they recommend, and check that info out further in reference books. That may save you from a costly error.
    Good luck.

Quoting Jean Schmidt: ------------
    -I am interested in growing a Nellie Stevens Hollie, but what I've learned is that this species is not hardy in zone 5. Is this accurate; and would it be worth my effort to try; or is there another similar cultivat that is hardy in zone 5 which will be similar to the Nellie Stevens
    • Nellie Stevens Holly
      Posted by sue from Texas on 2011-03-26 11:58:00

People tell me Nellie Stevens are one of the hardest trees yet I started out with about 10 Nellies that were 8 feet tall and beautiful and I lose one every year. Its the same ole pattern. The leaves turn yellow with brown spots and the tree dies about three months later. I go to the nursury and try everything but the tree always die. I have a tree right now that is going through the same pattern and I am going back to the nursey today hoping I can save this one. It is very upseting to lose these beautiful trees. Any idea's? Also any recommendations on a good fertilizer maintenance routine? Do you oil your Nellies?
      Thanks so much :)
      Sue
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —