Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
New to gardening in NW Arkansas- help please?

New to gardening in NW Arkansas- help please?
Posted by StarGaiz from AR on 2010-01-10 12:20:00

Hi, instead of starting my own new thread, I thought I'd see if I could get some more advice on this similar subject, here.

I'm a college student in NorthWest Arkansas (currently at home in Texas for the break, but about to drive back to my duplex in AR tomorrow to start the Spring Semester). I'm a married-student and instead of paying for more veggies than my husband and I can eat before going bad, a Southern Living article inspired me to grow my own lettuce in containers (or plant pots). I got to thinking I'd also like to grow some other vegetables we enjoy...if possible at this point in the year.

I really don't have much prior gardening knowledge or experience. The different veggies we'd like to try are lettuces, broccoli, carrots, and celery. Other options might be potatoes, squash, or zucchini, but I'm most interested in the former.

Can any of these veggies be successfully grown in the Northwest Arkansas area? Will I be able to eat any of them before I leave town in the summer, if I started planting tomorrow? Can any of them successfully be grown indoors and/or in containers as opposed to a ground-level garden?

I will probably go to the Walmart or Lowe's gardening center and ask about seeds and stuff when I get into town, but I was eager to get some expert advice now. Thank you for your time, help, and consideration and any help you can offer me. I look forward hearing back from you as soon as possible.

Thanks and Happy Week!
-Krystal :)
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —