Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Can Hibiscus Tree live outside?

Can Hibiscus Tree live outside?
Posted by Jo Bill (lady_lightheart@yahoo.com) from Michigan/5b on 2009-05-25 09:24:00

I just purchased a Hibiscus Tree from Meijers. It didn't have a tag explaining anything except it said "Hibiscus STD". A friend told me it could live outside in the winter, so I bought it. It has beautiful yellow flowers on it and is about 4' tall. I've tried to find this variety on-line to learn more about it and can't find a thing.

Now I'm concerned that I've purchased a tree that will only survive inside in cold weather.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know anything about yellow Hibiscus Trees?
  • So, What's the answer
    Posted by S J Letot from Indiana on 2009-06-22 06:55:00

I have The same problem, my flowers are pink and my trees are about 3' tall. If any one could help please/ NEED to plant very soon!! :)

Thank You, Flower Lover
    • Hibiscus
      Posted by tricia from Michigan on 2009-08-26 01:16:00

I planted mine outside, it is a prerennial hibiscus. But I cannot find any winter advice for the plants in the ground, only the ones in pots. HELP SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • Hibiscus
        Posted by Gayle from MI on 2011-11-12 02:28:00

My mother-in-law grew hibiscus plants along the field where my husband grew corn and soybeans. The hibiscus plants grew to about 4 feet tall and flowered beautifully all summer. Nothing was done to protect them before or during the winter and they came back each season and bloomed profusely, even through the cultivating and planting and spraying my husband did right next to them. We live in the north where the winters can be harsh. Go figure.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —