Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
container gardens

container gardens
Posted by Carol from Georgia/7 on 2009-03-09 02:51:00

I have always had trouble with my tomato plants in every state we have lived -- not many tomatoes to harvest during the season. I also planted strawberries one time - no luck. I ordered tomatoes and strawberries and will plant them in containers this year. Any suggestions?
  • container gardening
    Posted by Paul from Georgia / Zone on 2009-06-16 10:33:00

I've grown vegtables in containers off and on for years, with mostly good results. I make sure my container for tomatoes has plenty of room for the root system @ least a 20 gal tub. i drill approx. 10 -5/8 inch holes in the bottom. Then a layer of gravel in the bottom of tub. And then i fill the tub up with miricle gro moisture control soil. Then i plant my tomatoe plants,i water every 2-3 days. according to the weather after about four weeks, i start using miricle gro for tomatoes, according to directions on the box. And i usually have beautiful tomatoes.Also i cage my tomatoes before the get to big so as not to cause any damage. I use those square one's that fold up to store away. about 4' tall. $4.00 @ ACE Hardware. Sure hopes this helps.
  • container gardening
    Posted by ARLENE from florida -zone 9 on 2009-04-04 08:24:00

Hi Carol
    I hope I can give you some hope. I have gone thru the same thing but this year I found several large pots thrown away by a nursery. I put an inch or so of gravel and bought Miracle Gro potting soil.Make sure there are a few holes on the bottom for good drainage.
    My tomatoes are beautiful, my eggplant has a bud on it this morning and my cucumbers are getting ready to climb the trellis. I love gardening this way and I wont do it any other way.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —