Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
how to winterover hibiscus, gardenia & passion flower

how to winterover hibiscus, gardenia & passion flower
Posted by Sally from Ohio on 2008-10-13 09:26:00

I have a hibiscus, gardenia and 2 passion flower vines that I am bringing in over the winter. What is the correct way to "winterover" these plants. I have heard for the hibiscus that you should let it stay outside and experience a few very cold (in the 30's) nights so it will go dormant. Is this the same for the gardenia and the passion flower?
  • Tropical/Chinese Hibicus
    Posted by Cammy (becker1cl@comcast.net) from Michigan 5b on 2008-12-01 11:14:00

I didn't get mine in on time so mine did get hit with a few nights of heavy frost. However, after about a week of watering and spraying the leaves, the plant began to come back. I must warn though the leaves that were burnt from the frost did not recover and a lot of the leaves fell off. The plants were blossoming two weeks after I brought them in the house. Another thing I didn't know that I just found out is that before bringing them you are suppose to spray them down with a pesticide of some sort. I called a nursery today because I can't get rid of what appears on the bud and leaves. Nothing huge, but another thing to think about.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —