Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
Fastigate Trees

Fastigate Trees
Posted by TW from FL on 2008-08-17 08:58:00

I live near Sarasota. I'd like a recommendation for a tree, when mature, will be 10-15' tall and 2-3' wide. I intend to put it near my front door to frame the house. Trees I have considered (Italian Cypress, Sky Pencil, Emerald Green, etc.) either have pest issues or fruit - neither are desirable in this case. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Ornamental re certain size specifications
    Posted by kelly from Canada on 2009-02-28 02:19:00

Hi,
    You are in a warmer climate/growing zone than I am so you do have a greater variance to what can be grown there. The biggest problem is going to be the maturity height for your situation I feel. I think considering your needs and that the tree(s) will be a focal point near the house, that a trained and/or potentially grafted wax-leaf privet might be the final resolve for such a problem. The only known pest that comes to mind re is red spider mite but certain minimal maintanence remedies can keep this well under control. Also, a google search under FASTIGATE ornamentals may broaden the field a little regarding extent of choices as well.
    With every good wish,
    K.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —