Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
greenhouse worth it?

greenhouse worth it?
Posted by Melody from Indiana/ zone 5 on 2008-08-10 04:17:00

I'd like to grow fresh vegetables and fruit all year long in a greenhouse and keep out most of the insects. I've read about all the maintenance and want to make a lot of the work automated, but it's expensive. It sounds like there is a lot of cleaning and other upkeep involved. Is it worth the trouble to have a greenhouse, or should I stick with a regular garden and deal with the bugs and just can and freeze food for the off season?
  • Greenhouse
    Posted by Kelli from IL 5 on 2010-02-03 08:20:00

I have finally convinced my husband to get a greenhouse and I have been reading everything I can about it. Yes, there is a fair amount of cleaning and "other" upkeep, but not any more than in a seasonal garden. Again are you doing it to extend the fun of gardening or just to have a greenhouse? It may be possible to automate some of the work, but not most of it.

all you have to do is...

• Personal Preference
    Posted by Laurie from Maryland on 2008-08-16 05:39:00

In all honesty it truly depends on what your wallet and nerves can afford. I mean, are you trying to save money or is this therapeutic for you? With my tendencies and personality, I like the outdoor garden, canning and freezing my haul for the coming year until I can do it all again next year. I like the cycle and find the challenge of dealing with natural pests and what weather God throws at me fun. Crazy? Maybe. But I like that over an expensive greenhouse with more upkeep than I care for and can afford any day. I like the cycle of nature and enjoy it's bounty in season and out.

So, it truly depends on what your motivation is...
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —