Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
greenhouse worth it?

greenhouse worth it?
Posted by Melody from Indiana/ zone 5 on 2008-08-10 04:17:00

I'd like to grow fresh vegetables and fruit all year long in a greenhouse and keep out most of the insects. I've read about all the maintenance and want to make a lot of the work automated, but it's expensive. It sounds like there is a lot of cleaning and other upkeep involved. Is it worth the trouble to have a greenhouse, or should I stick with a regular garden and deal with the bugs and just can and freeze food for the off season?
  • Greenhouse
    Posted by Kelli from IL 5 on 2010-02-03 08:20:00

I have finally convinced my husband to get a greenhouse and I have been reading everything I can about it. Yes, there is a fair amount of cleaning and "other" upkeep, but not any more than in a seasonal garden. Again are you doing it to extend the fun of gardening or just to have a greenhouse? It may be possible to automate some of the work, but not most of it.

all you have to do is...

• Personal Preference
    Posted by Laurie from Maryland on 2008-08-16 05:39:00

In all honesty it truly depends on what your wallet and nerves can afford. I mean, are you trying to save money or is this therapeutic for you? With my tendencies and personality, I like the outdoor garden, canning and freezing my haul for the coming year until I can do it all again next year. I like the cycle and find the challenge of dealing with natural pests and what weather God throws at me fun. Crazy? Maybe. But I like that over an expensive greenhouse with more upkeep than I care for and can afford any day. I like the cycle of nature and enjoy it's bounty in season and out.

So, it truly depends on what your motivation is...
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —