Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Something eating my bean plants

Something eating my bean plants
Posted by Jeni Malecki from Wisconsin on 2008-07-03 08:41:00

I have grown beans for the past four years without problems, however this year they have been mercilessly eaten. Every morning all leaves are gone. When they begin to grow back something eats them again, and is starting to eat them down to nubs. The garden is fenced and potatoes, carrots, peppers, and tomatoes are not being touched. Please help!!!
  • EATING YOUR BEANS
    Posted by FONTEEN TRADER from VIRGINIA on 2008-07-10 11:09:00

THE SIMPLE SOLUTION TO THE BEAN PROBLEM, BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS GO TO THE DOLLAR STORE AND BUY CHEAP BABY POWDER, IF IT IS DEER OR RABBIT, THEY WILL NOT EAT THE LEAVES WITH THE BABY POWDER ON THEM, IF RAINS WASHES OFF WAIT OF LEAVES TO DRY AND REPODWER. THIS WILL WORK, I DIDN'T BELIEVE IT, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, AND NOTHING WORKED, SO I WAS DESPERATE I TRIED THE BABY POWDER, GREAT SOULTION.
  • Something eating my bean plants
    Posted by Stacey from CA on 2008-07-05 11:27:00

I'm having the same problem. I've searched several sites and I think it's a slug problem. One site suggested salt 5 inches away if you garden organically. I'm going to try that. Good luck!

Stacey Kinney

• Rabbits in garden
    Posted by Don from DE on 2008-07-05 07:28:00

Are there rabbits in your area? I have found young rabbits that will go right through my storm fence. I had to get some rabbit/deer repellent. So far so good. i still have several bean plants left.

Donniegs free sign up business opportunities

• something is eating my beans too
      Posted by leslie from toronto on 2008-07-25 10:10:00

I too have the exact same problem. Years of bush beans ,....something cuts the mature plant down to 2 inches from the ground. I grow other veggies and it does not want anything else..lettuce right next to the beans. I'm going to try baby powder...i've also read garlic, used cat litter and dog hair. I'm glad my garden is a community garden. What a smell it will be.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —