Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
healthy plants, zucchini & eggplant.....losing flowers & immature fruits wilting

healthy plants, zucchini & eggplant.....losing flowers & immature fruits wilting
Posted by Cammy from Hawaii on 2008-06-30 01:10:00

I am a resident of Maui, Hawaii.... My small hobby vegetable garden has been my delight this summer. All my plants have been leaping to and through their flowering stage without producing mature fruit. The plants have been amazingly healthy........ however, the zucchini squash do not develope into mature fruits. They achieve a length of maybe 4 inches then precede to wilt and stop growing completely. Even the flowers were just falling off the plants w/o producing any squash. The eggplant looks great, but the flowers are dying and falling off the plant. There were tons of flowers on both of these plants, now there are very few and they appear to be struggling.
Visual inspection of both plants during day time hours: reveals a few aphids and some ants.
Up to this point I have made my own insecticidal soap spray w/ garlic and cayenne (a friend from work suggested this), which really didn't change the situation much.
Do you have any suggestions? ideas? answers?
Mahalo for your time.........
  • Squash
    Posted by Kim from CA on 2008-06-30 02:21:00

I thought I was the only one, I'm having the same problem. I hope some will give us some advice soon!
    • Squash
      Posted by Ralph Schmidt from New Jersey on 2008-07-15 11:08:00

I have the same problem in NJ ,I just dusted them with vege dust tonight and will see if that helps but I am having problems with the peppers too, the little forming peppers keep falling off even though the plants are healthy and full of flowers?
    • No zuccini
      Posted by Don from DE on 2008-07-05 07:34:00

I'm have the same problem here in Delaware
      I do have squash.

Donniegs free sign up business opportunities

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —