Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
tomatos won't fruit

tomatos won't fruit
Posted by Tonya from North Texas on 2008-06-24 04:51:00

I have inherited a small garden plot form a man who was studying for his horticulture doctorate. He was experimenting with the soil and I believe it might be the cause of my problems. All of my plants grow very slow. I have tomatos that are finally getting large but still do not flower or produce tomatos, Bell peppers and cayene that will not flower or produce peppers, and cucumbers that should be much larger than they are now. My boyfriend seeded his cucumbers at the same time and his are 4Xs the size of mine. Is there anything I can do to help these poor struggling plants? They look nice but just aren't growing as they should much less producing anything.
  • Gardening
    Posted by Unanoumous from NY on 2008-07-02 02:49:00

Its interestingly funny because I was just about to write an article on gardening when I came across your submission stating that your tomatoes are not growing or flowering very well.
    In your case your tomatoes are still in their first stage of their growing process. This is known as the Growth stage.
    The second stage is the flowering stage. Flowers on the plants eventually turn to fruit which would be the third stage of growth. You most likely need to promote your tomato plants to their next stage of development. You can intervene by adding Peters high Potassium flowering stage fertilizer. I believe Root and Bloom works well also and may be made by Schultz. Peters is great because they make products to ammend specific soil conditions and stages of growth for plants. This beats many all around fertilizers, which do not neccessarily target any one condition. These treatments should continue as directed until a couple of weeks before you plan to harvest the vegetables.
    Though they are proven safe some fertilizers may produce an awkward taste in the fruit if plants are continually treated or overdosed during harvest. So a natural water flush is recommended a few weeks prior to harvest.
    Another issue is the first stage of development requires higher Nitrogen fertilizers also made by Peters. This fertilizer is mainly to stimulate growth during the first stage of development. It is important to make sure these plants have reached the size required to produce a good yield.
    Most plant store and gardening clerks can assist you on how to read the specific numbers on the boxes. I believe root and bloom may have a high middle number, where as the first number may be higher in high nitrogen fertilizers.
    Other than fertilization a good amount of sunshine, some natural soil additive like processed cow manure and even a little lime or potash in the spring will naturally promote good growth and development. Lime is a quick fix to most unfavorable soil conditions because of the high amounts of acid rain around the world today. If the PH becomes to acidic some plants wont do well either.
    Tomatoes are great because in decent soil with the right amounts of light they will grow very well. I hope this helps you, happy harvest and happy fourth.

Gardening with style

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —