Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Jade plant

Jade plant
Posted by Shirley (s.steinkamp@verizon.net) from Illinois/5 on 2008-04-15 12:56:00

I have an old & large (30" diam.) jade plant that seems to have slightly shriveled looking leaves. I usually put the plant outside in the summer where it seems to thrive, and bring it inside in the fall. This winter it hasn't looked as healthy with the shrivelling & dropping leaves. Some of the leaves also have some black "bumps." Could my jade have spider
mites? Maybe it needs re-potting? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Repot Yes!
    Posted by Laurie from Maryland on 2008-08-03 06:54:00

Yes, I am an advocate of repotting your plants every couple of years or so. Research online the mixture you might need with type of plant you have... in your case a Jade is a succulent, so you need a different type of a soil mixture. Don't discount the pre-made fertilized types they are great. And plants like a slightly larger pot with each upgrade. It's like buying a bigger house.

The roots will thank you, it's the most important part of the plant.
  • Scales
    Posted by Stephanie from Tennessee/Zone on 2008-04-24 04:10:00

The black bumps might be scale insects. They suck the sap from plants and excrete a sticky residue that can sometimes be found on the leaves. It is easy to get rid of scales. Just scrape them off with your fingers.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —