Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
anyone have success with bringing these plants inside before frost?

anyone have success with bringing these plants inside before frost?
Posted by Ginapippa from North Carolina, on 2007-11-07 02:02:00

I am not ready for winter! I wish I had a greenhouse but can't afford one yet. I am bringing inside my plants (in big pots) twinspur (coral canyon), petunia, moss rose, impatiens, lemon tree and purple passion--I have medium to bright light -- Do you think I have half a chance in keeping these plants alive until spring (April is usually when we can start to have plants outside w/o fear of frost)????
  • winter
    Posted by hugh boyd (hugh.boyd1@ntlworld.com) from Scotland uk on 2007-11-11 07:31:00

You have every chance of keeping your plants through the winter.
    All you really need is good light and frost free conditions. Water sparingly and do not feed.
    Out of all your plants, the lemon and purple passion are really worth saving. The moss rose should survive outdoors, but I would wrap the pot in bubble plastic.
    Twinspur, petunia and impatiens you can save if you want, but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. Depends what room you have available.
    With the last three you could have taken a few cuttings rather than hanging on to the big old plants. If you want to know how, let me know.
    Hugh
    • lemon tree
      Posted by Elizabeth A. Hornbaker from illinois on 2007-12-07 12:31:00

Hugh, I have a couple of lemon trees which I raised from seed. one is now ten years old and the other is six. I was told that if I put them outdoors for the summers, they would flower and bear fruit; hence, that is precisely what I have done for the past three years. There have been no blossoms, no fruit, but lots of bugs and burned leaves. Have any advice for me?

lizh1

• lemon trees
        Posted by Hugh boyd (hugh.boyd1@ntlworld.com) from Scotland uk on 2007-12-09 07:27:00

Hi Elizabeth,
        Fruit trees from seed are a bit unreliable
        as far as fruiting is concerned. They often take many years before they settle down to fruit and the fruit may not resemble the one you took the seeds from.
        They are fun to grow though and I'm sure you will agree, they make handsome house plants.
        Lemons and indeed all citrus fruits are prone to bugs. Give them a good washing down with soapy water. I use dilute washing up liquid and to avoid mess use the bathtub (when my wife is not at home!).
        Burnt leaves: Usually this happens when you first put them out for the summer, they literally get sun burn. (Indoors they don't get uv rays through glass).
        Next year avoid this by putting them somewhere shady outdoors for a few days before placing them in full sun.
        Lemons are very hungry plants and they are one of the few houseplants that you
        liquid feed all year round. It's worth while using a liquid fertilizer specifically for citrus plants.
        Other than that make sure your lemons are in a bright ,sunny position both indoors and out.
        Good luck,
        Hugh
        • lemons and violets
          Posted by Elizabeth A. Hornbaker from illinois on 2007-12-09 10:16:00

thanks Hugh!

I guess I will just keep using a few leaves for seasoning and decorating my platters! I have left the African violets alone to dry out, but have little hope for most of them.

Liz

lizh1

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —