Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
COFFEE GROUNDS

COFFEE GROUNDS
Posted by MARTIN (MBILOW6136@AOL.COM) from ILLINOIS on 2007-07-07 09:53:00

I CAME ACROSS AN ARTICLE THAT STATED COFFEE GROUNDS MIXED INTO DIRT ENRICHES THE SOIL.
ANY COMMENTS ON THIS STATEMENTS?
  • Coffee Grounds and Plants
    Posted by Cynthia A. Cunningham (caprzytula@yahoo.com) from Reno, NV on 2007-08-16 06:44:00

I've read most of the postings on this subject but I would like to know how to know whether a plant likes acidic soil or not? If I give the grounds to plants that don't like grounds, will it hurt them?
  • Coffee grounds
    Posted by KimmSr from MI-4a/5b on 2007-07-20 08:42:00

Used coffee grounds are good as part of the overall mix of organic matter you shold be putting in your soil but they should not be the only addition.
    Used coffee grounds can be a fairly good source of Nitrogen, potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, and sulfur. Used coffeee grounds, unless you add tons, will not significantly affect your soils pH either.
  • Coffee Grinds
    Posted by Rusty from LA. Zone 8 on 2007-07-15 11:05:00

Coffee is a great soil admendment. It will acidify your soil however, so use it near acid lovers only.
  • coffee grounds
    Posted by Debbie from TX on 2007-07-12 05:22:00

Yes, coffee grounds are good for a lot of flowering plants. You can also add to the top soil after plants are established and mix in with the dirt. Gives the plants a little perk. :-)
    • coffee grounds
      Posted by Beverly Weaver from New York State on 2007-07-14 05:32:00

I am so glad to hear that coffee grounds are good. We use a lot of coffee at our home and I now I can put some on the plants rather than filling the garbage bad.
      Thanks.
  • Coffee grounds
    Posted by Pamela Jones from IN on 2007-07-08 12:51:00

I've heard that coffee grounds are good for strawberries.
    • coffee ground
      Posted by carolyn from Montana on 2007-07-08 03:01:00

I know for a fact that this is true.... roses and many other flowers do very well with the use of coffee grounds ---don't forget to dead head!

Carolyn
      • coffee grounds
        Posted by Frances from Mississippi on 2007-07-22 09:12:00

I read 3 cups of used coffee grounds on an azalea bush will perk it up. As the other person stated only on plants that are acidic.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —