Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Can anyone please tell me what kind of plant this is?

Can anyone please tell me what kind of plant this is?
Posted by Christine from CA on 2007-05-22 01:56:00

I got this plant about 3 years ago. Very easy to care for. I've never known what kind of plant it is though and need to know so I can follow up on care for it.

The leaves are beginning to droop, like they need water but the plant has plenty of water. My only guess is that it's overcrowded.

I'm afraid to separate the plant for fear that it'll die.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

• plant ID
    Posted by Elizabeth A. Hornbaker from illinois on 2007-12-09 10:40:00

It looks like the top leaves are splitting and if they are, I think that it is a philodendron - Monstera deliciosa. If you are afraid to split it up, before you repot it, you can cut some stems and start new plants by placing them in water. I have some growing in an indoor fish tank (750 Gal)and they love having wet feet and lots of humidity.

lizh1

• Identification
    Posted by Elaine from Indian on 2007-06-15 01:49:00

It is a Philodendron and I believe it's a "Scandens". Low exposure and the let it dry out between watering. Go ahead and separate the plant. It may droop for a few days, but with TLC, it will spring back!
  • Plant ID
    Posted by Annie from Florida 9 or 10 on 2007-06-03 10:08:00

It looks like some kind of Philodendron to me? That would be my first guess. It could be a Pothos. Depending on how much sun it gets it will take a lot of water but will also die from over watering. These can be easily separated too. Good Luck!
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —