Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Losing Lovely Jade Plant

Losing Lovely Jade Plant
Posted by Casey from New York on 2007-05-15 11:05:00

I recently moved a large Jade Plant from my Grandmother's house to mine. The Jade is about 2-2 1/2 feet tall. It was sitting in a Florida room in early April. It started to get very cold and I moved the plant indoors to an upstairs south facing window. The plant started to die and I assumed it was the temp change and that it would recover. It has not. It is dying. I have cut it back considerably, but the branches seem to be dying from the inside out. They start to look weak about halfway up the branch (like its caving in. I replanted a week ago. No real improvement. There are new leaves growing, but branches with new leaves are dying as well. Help. I could supply images if they would help.
  • jade
    Posted by Elizabeth A. Hornbaker from illinois on 2007-12-09 10:46:00

I have had several jade plants for years and have had to take some drastic measures to preserve them when one of my cats decided to use the pots for a litter box. I finally took some healthy leaves and placed them in moist soil, covered them with plastic zip bags that I left partially open. They soon took root and I had some healthy new plants. They grow fairly quickly so you might want to try this.

lizh1

• Jade Plant
    Posted by Bonnie from Calif on 2007-08-03 09:52:00

I live in southern Calif and have many Jade plants along north side of my house. They grow 'wild' from pieces that I have broken off and just dropped on the ground. Two plants are about 15 yrs old with 6-8" dia base. This past winter we actually had frost several days and I lost one large old plant. Being a succulent it retains water and probably was 'too full'. Sections just rotted away. When it blooms it's beautiful.
  • Losing Lovely Jade Plant
    Posted by Koleta from OKLA. zone6 on 2007-07-24 01:30:00

I had a large jade 3'x3' that was just beautiful. It would bloom every year until we moved to TX. close to Dallas,TX. Well I was not warned about the water there. It had to much sodium in it and killed the jade from the inside out. Mine rotted inside and didn't know anything was wrong until it caved in. I could not save it by trying to transplant or take cuttings, as the whole plant was affected. I lost many very rear cacti, also. Good luck!
  • Succulents
    Posted by Lola from OH/6 on 2007-05-22 09:18:00

Moving it from your grandmothers and then from one room to another, I know jade does not liked to be moved around. Temp should be around 65-75. Soil should be moist but not wet. Try leaving it alone for a while. Let the soil get dry but not hard and feeding it with a slow release fertilzer specifically for succulents.
    • Thamks
      Posted by Casey from New York on 2007-05-30 04:31:00

Thank You, I'm trying that. I think, I'm losing though, I may have written too late or a deeper issue may be at hand. Thansk again.
      • JADE
        Posted by Deirdre (DEEMGEE45@aol.com) from NC zone 7 on 2007-08-02 12:07:00

I have a Jade, in good shape............I wouldn' mind sending a cutting!
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —