Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
repotting

repotting
Posted by Terri from Maryland on 2007-03-13 01:22:00

8 out of every 10 plants I repot turn yellow then brown on tips, continue spreading. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've tried more watering, less watering change of location to light. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i am doing wrong or what I can do to save my plants.
  • Repotting
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2007-03-25 03:21:00

Unnecessary repotting is the single most common cause of plant problems. When a plant is moved to a larger pot, the added soil tends to hold onto the moisture for too long and the roots begin to rot.

If a plant can go for 3 days without water after a thorough watering, then there is not a good reason to repot.

The notion that plants need lots of room for their roots is a common myth. Stop repotting and you will have greater success with your plants.

Insiders' Plant Information

• Repotting
    Posted by A.Allison from Arkansas on 2007-03-19 12:12:00

Your plant will be in shock for a short period anytime you handle it. Get a fresh srart. Soil and clean pot adding a few pebbles on bottom helps for drainage. Useing fresh soil. Place pebbles, soil then plant then finish adding soil , pack firmly not tight. Take the plant to it's new home, after two, three days check soil and water I mist with water bottles, that I fill with and store. good luck !
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —