Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Japanese Beetles!!!!

Japanese Beetles!!!!
Posted by "Sunshine" from KY/6 on 2007-02-19 01:44:00

Today is Feb. 19, 2007. My indoor house cat discovered not one, but TWO mature japanese beetles walking around on the floor near my basil plants!!!! I keep my basil plants and other herbs outside in the summer here in KY, and bring them in for the winter. I know these awful beetles will lay their eggs in the soil near food sources. I moved around the soil in the pots a little bit with a chopstick, but saw no signs of eggs, larvae, or beetles. Is it possible these japanese beetles came from eggs hiding in the soil of these plants? I'm pretty sure this has to be it, since there is about 4 inches of snow outside. What should I do?
  • japanese beetles
    Posted by valerie greene from ny 13438 on 2007-05-31 12:12:00

from my farmers almanac calendar: a spray bottle mixed w/garlic and water helps keep off plant. Hope this helps...
  • Killing Japanese Beetles
    Posted by Marianne from SC/7 on 2007-02-23 03:46:00

Hey Sunshine! I was looking at different articles on the internet to see if I could help with your problem. From what I understand, if you are only finding a few of them you can pick them off by hand. From there you could simply kill them by drowning them in a bowl of soapy water. I hope this helps you some. I'll enclose some of the links I found.

Japanese Beetle Control

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —