Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Soda: Good or bad for plants?

Soda: Good or bad for plants?
Posted by Tina Neiman (tina_neiman@yahoo.com) from Colorado on 2006-12-28 11:07:00

My roomate and I just got into an argument over soda and plants. I tol him that some sodas are good for them so they can actually grow. The content that they have in them helps the plants... ie the sugar, co2, and the water... some plants (I belive) benifit from a certin amount of caffene. Is this true or not? Please help.
  • caffeinated plants
    Posted by Finster from Tx on 2007-05-15 03:57:00

The previous response was incorrect. Soda IS IS IS beneficial for houseplants(indoor) in particular. Not coke or mt.dew but clear seltzer water. MANY many indoor gardeners use soda w/ a little plant food and trace minerals to foliar feed(feeding by spraying leaves directly/bypassing the root system. plants require much more co2 than is available even outdoors. by foliar feeding w/soda water + fertlzr/food you deliver a healthy booster dose of co2 to the plant. many hobbyists use this method to suplement co2 which will increase a plants growth and fruit production as most all plants are capable of consuming double triple even quadruple the amount of available co2 in air. you had halfway good info. no caffeine, no sugar, and as little salt as possible. making plain soda or seltzer the IDEAL way for a hobbyist to supplement co2 without expensive co2 generators. just remember to give the plants a rinse with clean cool water periodicly to get rid of salt/sugar buildup which can clog the stomata (plant pores) on the leaves.
    happy growing and remember.....
    give a plant PLENTY of what IT needs.....
    (water,light,co2,nutrients)
    and in return IT will give you PLENTY of what YOU need.
    and by plenty i mean all you can possibly give it(with the exception of nutrients, as they are the only of the four that a plant can overdose on).
    glad i could help. best, Finster
  • caffeinated plants
    Posted by Finster from Tx on 2007-05-15 03:55:00

The previous response was incorrect. Soda IS IS IS beneficial for houseplants(indoor) in particular. Not coke or mt.dew but clear seltzer water. MANY many indoor gardeners use soda w/ a little plant food and trace minerals to foliar feed(feeding by spraying leaves directly/bypassing the root system. plants require much more co2 than is available even outdoors. by foliar feeding w/soda water + fertlzr/food you deliver a healthy booster dose of co2 to the plant. many hobbyists use this method to suplement co2 which will increase a plants growth and fruit production as most all plants are capable of consuming double triple even quadruple the amount of available co2 in air. you had halfway good info. no caffeine, no sugar, and as little salt as possible. making plain soda or seltzer the IDEAL way for a hobbyist to supplement co2 without expensive co2 generators. just remember to give the plants a rinse with clean cool water periodicly to get rid of salt/sugar buildup which can clog the stomata (plant pores) on the leaves.
    happy growing and remember.....
    give a plant PLENTY of what IT needs.....
    (water,light,co2,nutrients)
    and in return IT will give you PLENTY of what YOU need.
    and by plenty i mean all you can possibly give it(with the exception of nutrients, as they are the only of the four that a plant can overdose on).
    glad i could help. best, Finster
  • Soda & plants
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2007-01-13 09:03:00

There is nothing beneficial in soda for plants other than the water. Plants do not use sugar, they manufacture it. Plants do use carbon dioxide, but they absorb it through the air. Some few plants do prefer an acidic soil and coffee is acidic, but there are better ways to acidify the soil even in those rare cases where it is necessary.

Stick with plain water for your potted plants and save the soda for your teeth!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —