Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Urban/Household Garden...

Urban/Household Garden...
Posted by Matt Moran (info@kreativeknowledge.com) from Cave Creek, AZ on 2006-11-17 03:17:00

My daughter and I are interested in starting a househould/urban garden. Really, using herbs and certain vegetables in pots as both decrative and edible additions to our home. Some inside the home, where possible - others on the front and back porches.

We live in Arizona and have a year round growing environment for many herbs and vegetables but do not even know where to start. We do have about 40-50 plastic planters of various sizes left by the former residents.

Any guidance would be very helpful.
  • Indoor Pots
    Posted by Jenny from Arizona on 2007-05-18 03:19:00

There is a new product on the market called Grobal. It is a self watering plant holder. It is fantastic. They supply you with nutrients to feed your plant when you water it, which by the way is only needed once a month. The website is grobalworld.com. This is great for the people who forget to water their plants. (Like me!)
  • Planting in Arizona
    Posted by A.M.D. from Mass. 6/7 on 2006-12-07 10:21:00

If you are planting in plastic pots above ground be sure you use a planting medium that is designed for container gardening. Mother Nature's "soil" is just not designed for container planting. (Contact your local Agricultural School or area University)
    If you plant in containers in the ground be sure to use clay pots.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —