Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Avocado Plant

Avocado Plant
Posted by Edie (eideprofio@hotmail.com) from Pennsylvania on 2006-10-29 11:32:00

Over a year ago, I planted an avocado pit on a whim.. Years ago I use to plant them, but with little success. This time the plant is growing quite large. Must be the location. It is about 4 feet high. Since this is Pennsylvania, I'm assuming it cannot be planted outdoors.....at what point shall I enlarge the pot?
  • avacado plant
    Posted by debra (seedfiend@gmail.com) from NY on 2006-12-09 11:46:00

I also started a avocado seed, its now 7 years old and it goes outside for the warmer months each year. Its well over 7 feet tall with many side branches. Each time it comes in for the winter it loses a few leaves, but it still grows new ones, all year round! I have finally had to move it up into a really large container, about 22 inches across. And now that its hitting the ceiling, I have no idea of what I'll do next year! But does anyone one know if indoor grown avocado ever bears fruit? Are avocado's self-pollinating? Thanks for any and all advice.
    My plant also has a baby sister( brother??) growing along in another container. She's only 4 and about 4 and a half feet tall!
    Debra
    • best avocado variety
      Posted by scott from ca on 2011-01-21 02:26:00

Lamb hass

http://www.wiltedleaf.com/3/what-is-the-latest-and-greatest-avocado-variety

• growing avocado seeds
      Posted by Bonnie from Calif on 2007-08-03 10:28:00

We have lots of wonderful avocados here in southern Calif. This is from the Calif Avocado Assoc.: "Don't expect your house plant to bear fruit. Although this does occur occasionally, it usually requires grafting. A plant grown from seed will take anywhere from five to 13 years to flower and bear fruit. Fruit on trees grown from seeds are seldom good to eat."
  • Repotting Avocado plant
    Posted by Martha from Texas, Zone 9 on 2006-11-04 11:09:00

One way to tell is to check the root ball. You should be able to tell by the amount of roots on the plant.
    As for planting outdoors, I believe they are tropical plants and will not surive in your area.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —