Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Sunflower care and how to repot.

Sunflower care and how to repot.
Posted by Courtney from Pittsburgh, PA on 2006-08-08 01:54:00

I have potted a few sunflower seeds in a flower pot. I place the pot outside during the day to get lots of sunlight and bring them in during the evening if it is going to rain. They are sprouting pretty fast. I was wondering how do you repot the sunflowers and when is the best time to do so? They are between 1-2 inches from the top of the soil right now.

Sunflower photo

• Sunflowers
    Posted by Ujima from Georgia/Zone 7 on 2006-09-01 04:09:00

ive grown sunflowers for a number of years. They dont like to be moved or repotted. Why do you bring them in, in the evening? I dont think that is necessary. They dont require a lot of rain.
  • Sunflowers
    Posted by Ujima from Georgia/Zone 7 on 2006-09-01 04:08:00

ive grown sunflowers for a number of years. They dont like to be moved or repotted. Why do you bring them in, in the evening? I dont think that is necessary. They dont require a lot of rain.
    • cut flowers?
      Posted by Apple from Souuthern Orego on 2007-08-06 01:45:00

I was wonbering about if the lower leaves are brown and some of the upper floweres are wilted. They have enough water and sun but I was wondering if it better to cut these blooms as they wilt? Does that make room for new blossoms? My rose bushes are like that but I just moved and now I have sunflowers. Any advice? i would love to trim it up and cut some blossoms before they wilt for the kitchen table. Is that ok?
    • sunflowers
      Posted by Courtney Santo (cmarshall918@yahoo.com) from pa on 2006-09-01 05:01:00

I have been leaving them out now. I thought at first it was a little chilly at night. I would assume its okay to just leave them outside even in the rain? I was not sure if this would be too much watering.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —