Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Can't find the name of this plant? Or how to care for it?

Can't find the name of this plant? Or how to care for it?
Posted by Lucy from ca on 2006-05-17 01:14:00

I bought this plant it had a label on it but the label is wrong. It looks sort of like a japanese eldelberry,but not.

The plant has very dark green leaves that are long,lacy and thin. The stems are also very dark green color. The leaves shoot out in five fingers like a hand or star. It is in a bushy cluster or clump.

Please help. I want to be able to take care of it so it won't die on me from overwatering or underwatering or too much light or too little light.
  • False aralia
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NYC on 2006-05-17 08:04:00

Your plant may be a false aralia or Dizygotheca elegantissima. If it is, let me know and I will tell you how to care for it.

If it is not, you can email a photo of it to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com and I will ID it for you.

Insiders' Plant Information

• Dizygotheca elegantissima, How do i care for it.
      Posted by jernawndo jennings from Columbia, South on 2008-12-24 04:32:00

hello i recieved one of these exact plants as a christmas present. Im not much of a gardener but i read a lot of reviews on the plant and i think it might be worth growning it. I just need some directions on caring for it: how often to water it, where in the house should i keep it and anything else that you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help and i look forward to hearing from you soon.
    • Care Instructions Please.
      Posted by Lucy from ca on 2006-05-18 09:22:00

Any advice or proper care I should give this plant, I would greatly appreciate.

It is a beautiful plant I hope to keep alive.(I'm a well known plant killer)
    • Your right it is false aralia.
      Posted by Lucy from ca on 2006-05-18 09:16:00

When I purchased the plant the label said just "aralia" with no other info. I thought I could find it easy on the internet, but two fustrating days later, I found this message board.

Thank you for your time and info.
      • False aralia
        Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NYC on 2006-05-18 04:58:00

Hi Lucy,

I am sorry you had such frustration ID'ing your plant. Next time you have an indoor plant question, just contact me directly and spare yourself the frustration.

False aralias are among the plants quickest to react dramatically to any stress. First of all, resist the temptation to repot it. Bright indirect light is a must; try to locate it in front of a north or east window. Once you have it in an appropriate location, keep it there permanently. Otherwise it will have to acclimate all over again to a new environment.

They also require a stable environment with regular watering that keeps the soil evenly moist. A single late watering or moderate overwatering can cause sudden leaf drop. Water your false aralia as soon as the surface of the soil feels dry.

High humidity helps, but is not essential. Skip the fertilizer entirely for now. If your plant is thriving next spring, then you can fertilize at half strength monthly while it is growing vigorously.

Warm, even temps above 65 degrees are also important. Avoid cold drafts and warm drafts from heaters.

Move it into a larger pot only when the soil is drying out every day or two following a thorough watering.

Let me know if this is unclear.

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —