Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
too late to plant amaryllis

too late to plant amaryllis
Posted by Karin (ks611@usa.com) from New York, Long on 2006-05-07 11:27:00

Somehow I didn't get around to potting up my amaryllis bulbs this fall/winter 05/06.
I have quite a few and would not want to loose them - is it too late to pot them up now (May 06)?
  • Amaryllis
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NYC on 2006-05-17 08:15:00

If your bulbs have been dormant and not started to grow leaves, then there is a good chance that you can bring them out of dormancy now, even though it is very late.

Insiders' Plant Information

• amaryllis
    Posted by Andi from B.C. Canada on 2006-05-08 02:41:00

Hi Karin,
    Yes, plant them up as soon as possible, otherwise you will lose them for sure. As soon as you water them, the roots will start growing within 24 hrs. Hope this helps you out, and good luck!
    Andi
    • Amaryllis buds
      Posted by Ron from 4 on 2006-05-10 07:55:00

I have 3 amaryllis plants. Always seem to have a hard time getting them to flower. At this time after a dormancy period I only have 3 leaves on each plant with the leaves being about 14 inches in length and no flower stock or buds of anykind.

Seeing as were now near the middle of May what can I do to kick start the plants into producing
      flower buds.
      Please reply to this email address

Ron
      • Amaryllis
        Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NYC on 2006-05-17 08:12:00

Hi Ron,

Amaryllis will only flower after they have had an eight week dormancy period starting in the fall. At this time (May), all you can do is provide lots of direct sunlight, keep them potbound and don't let the soil get too dry. This will encourage leaf and bulb growth until the end of summer. Then in the fall you can start the dormancy and have them ready to flower at the end of the year.

I have written an article on the year round care of Amaryllis that I will send to anyone who emails me a request.

Will Creed
        wcreed@Horticulturalhelp.com

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —