Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Staghorn Ferns, up or down

Staghorn Ferns, up or down
Posted by John from Texas/8 on 2006-04-08 03:57:00

I have two new Staghorns and am trying to mount them on board/boxes. How can I make sure that the plant is right side up on the board? I am use to older plants and have not faced this issue in the past as they were already mounted for me.
Thanks,
John, Frisco Tx
  • Staghorn Fern
    Posted by Jeanette Myers (jeanettemy@usd286-sedan-ks.org) from Sedan, KS on 2006-05-01 04:44:00

Yes, there is a certain direction to mount/hang them. If you mount/hang them upside down, the leave will be growing upside down & when it gets big the weight of the leave will break it off. Type staghorn fern on google or ask. There are MANY MANY web sites to go to that tell you about staghorns.
  • Staghorn Ferns
    Posted by kimmie haworth (kimhaworth@sbcglobal.net) from Northern Califo on 2006-04-10 04:25:00

I don't think it matters much which way you hang stag horn ferns. Usually the shields will have an indentation on the bottom side, but not always. Staghorns (Platycerium) have two kinds of fronds; the shields which support the plant on a trunk of a tree and the fertile fronds, which resemble the antlers of a stag - hence the name.
    They do require ample water and humidity and do best outdoors or in a greenhouse.
    • staghorn ferns
      Posted by Dot Pierce (cutiepants_01@yahoo.com) from ms. on 2006-06-03 03:00:00

I have one staghorn fern,i need some onformation on how often to feed it and what kind of food..
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —