Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
What is this plant?

What is this plant?
Posted by jAMIE from va on 2006-02-17 08:48:00

What is this plant. We have had it for four years. We dont know what it is. It got so large it began to lean so my wife pruned it. Can it be rooted or rgenerate roots. from the pruned pieces. She stuck them it moist dirt and they look like they are dying.

plant

• Croton
    Posted by diane from Colorado - 5 on 2006-03-02 11:10:00

found this. It might be helpful:
    Q: I have a question about my Croton houseplant. May I cut it off since it lost all the bottom leaves? Can I replant the top bushy plant where the leaves are good? I do have a new seedling that is doing great at the bottom. Does this Croton plant ever need fertilizer? (Gackle, N.D.)

A: Crotons can be cut back when they become too large or ungainly looking. The stem that has been cut back will eventually make new growth. When you cut the Croton (more properly known as Codiaeums) it will bleed a milky latex typical of members of the Euphorbiaceae family. Spray the cut ends with water or dust them with powdered charcoal to stop the flow of latex. With the cutting, reduce it to about 6 inches long for faster rooting and easier handling. Plant the cutting in a 3-inch pot of moist, equal parts mix of peat moss and coarse sand or perlite and enclose everything in a clear plastic bag and place the plant where it can get plenty of bright, but indirect light every day. When new growth is evident, that means the cutting has rooted and the bag can be removed. Next spring it will likely need repotting as the roots will have filled the 3-inch pot space completely.
  • what is this plant
    Posted by Kym from PA 5/6 on the l on 2006-03-01 09:59:00

It looks like a croton of some sort its coloration is different Crotons I usuualy see have bright reds or oranges but it sure looks like a croton plant& leaf structure looke the same
  • plant id
    Posted by andi from b.c. canada on 2006-02-22 12:25:00

Hi Jamie,
    from your pictures, it looks like it might be a type of croton? (codiaeum) It is an indoor tropical plant, but unfortunaely, the growers always seem to use a generic tag that just says "indoor tropical plant" Does it sometimes show different colours on it? Crotons are usually full of colour, but will be mostly green if not getting enough light. To me, it looks like there is a bit of yellow on some of the leaves, and if you too think it might be a croton, it needs more light to show off its colours, and should dry out somewhat before watering again. As for cuttings, use a rooting powder before sticking it in the soil. I hope this helps you out, and good luck! Andi
  • flower i.d.
    Posted by b from tx on 2006-02-18 11:57:00

is it a peony?
  • Photo
    Posted by Rick from Western NC on 2006-02-18 08:24:00

I think i figured out how to upload images. try the link below. Rick

• plant
      Posted by jAMIE from va on 2006-02-18 12:26:00

What link? I dont think its letting me register as a member. I try tried to reply to your message. Why does it ask for my name, state, subject when I am replying to your message? The plant has never had flowers. It looks tropical to me. I could not figure out how to upload picture in this message board.
  • What is this plant.
    Posted by Rick (gladesglass@direcway.com) from Western NC on 2006-02-18 07:45:00

It looks like an old world camelia to me. Has it ever bloomed? Send me an email and I'll send you back an old plate with the broad leaf like yours. Just a guess. Rick
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —