Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Repoting African Violets

Repoting African Violets
Posted by Connie Hawsey (chawsey63@yahoo.com) from Tennesee on 2006-01-20 09:14:00

I am getting ready to repot my violets and I want to keep them in the pots they are in. Can I cut away roots if it is root bound? These pots fit perfectly in the window they grow so well in.
Connie Hawsey
Franklin, Tennessee
  • african violets
    Posted by andi from b.c. canada on 2006-01-24 11:45:00

Hi Connie,
    Just thought I would give you some info on African Violets. African Violets prefer to be somewhat rootbound. And as you know they can be picky sometimes, so I'm not sure if cutting the roots would be a good idea. You could try to carefully loosen some of the soil between the roots before you repot them and put them back in the same pots. They have 5 basic needs- 1. Steady warmth(avoid cold draughts and sudden changes in temperatures)2. Good light(bright but no direct hot sun)3. High air humidity
    (you can surround the pot with damp peat or place the pot on a pebble tray to create humidity. Or have them in your bathroom so they get steamed, or above your kitchen sink can be an ideal spot too)4. regular feeding( you can buy special african violet food that really will make a big difference for flowering and should cost only a few dollars.) 5. careful watering(violets tend to prefer to be more on the dry side, so when you water they should dry out somewhat before you water them again, of course in the summer you would be watering more than in the winter)

Remove any dead or damaged leaves right away and do not leave a stalk, otherwise all the nutrients will try to mend the ailing leaf and we all know that it's not coming back, ha. You can water your plants by putting the water in the saucer and letting the roots soak it up. If you water the top, just make sure not to get water on the leaves b/c it will leave marks. I find that they do not like to be moved and if you do, it may stall them from flowering for a while. The only food my grandmother used was leftover tea once in a while (they like the acid) and she always had them in bloom. The water should be room temp.(I let the water sit over night and then use the next day. And if you think you are going to lose your plant, you can take a mature leaf and stick it in some slightly moist soil(there is a specific african violet soil mix.)Or you can also put the leaf in an eggcup with water and plant when you see some roots. I hope this helps you out and good luck with your plants! They can be picky sometimes but they really are beautiful and worth the effort. Andi
    • Violets
      Posted by C. Hawsey from Franklin, Tenne on 2006-01-25 12:04:00

Thanks so much for the information. So, is it necessary to repot violets once a year. I read that somewhere and if I do, should I bury the "stalk" if one is present above the soil when I do?
      Thanks
      • african violets
        Posted by andi from british columbi on 2006-01-25 02:14:00

Hi again,
        I usually repot my violets every year with an african violet mix. The soil tends to get old and crusty, especially if you water from the top. and after a year, there are no nutruients left in the soil. If you have quite a rootball on the bottom but want to use the same pots, I just read that you can cut the bottom off to fit it back in the pot. Violets tend to get a bit leggy, and yes you can bury the stalk with soil. Just try not to have any leaves touching the soil. They also prefer plastic pots and if they are stubborn about blooming, you can squeeze the pots to loosen the roots and this will sometimes get them booming. Now if the pots you have are not plastic, but they still bloom for you then I wouldn't worry about having to change them. Hope this helps you out.
        Andi
  • African Violets
    Posted by Charmaine Tipton (DoferGofer@comcast.net) from Edgewood.Maryla on 2006-01-24 08:12:00

Thanks Connie for the reply. I lost mine again but I won't give up. I will buy another & try again. I love these little beauties but just don't have luck. Maybe this time I will stick with repotting them in the self watering pot & see if that work for me. Maybe someone else has had good luck & can share what they have done.
    Thanks again,
    Charmaine
    Edgewood, Maryland
  • African Violets
    Posted by chawsey63@yahoo.com from Tennesee on 2006-01-24 06:09:00

Hi Connie,
    I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question. I love this plant but can't seem to keep them alive. I had mine in a self watering pot for violets but they got very crowded in it so I transplanted them to a terra cotta pot,used soil just for the voilet, put it near a window with good light but no sun . I waterd it from the bottom when the top 1" of soil felt dry. They slowly died. Any suggestions are welcome
    • Violets
      Posted by Connie Hawsey from Franklin/Tennes on 2006-01-24 10:03:00

I have never had good luck with Violets. I am a teacher and I wouldn't have tried again except a co-teacher gave me one as a welcoming gift. It was about to die on my desk and I brought it home, repotted it an a self-watering pot and put it in my kitchen window that faces the NE....One plant, then two, then three ...well you get the picture. I repot every spring in fresh violet soil and always change the water they sit in and always feed. Thats about all I know! HA....
      Just one thing....my self-watering pots keep the root real moist.....so maybe one 1" of moist soil may not have been enough.
      Good luck
      Connie
      Franklin Tennessee
      • African Violets
        Posted by Charmaine Tipton from Edgewood,Maryla on 2006-01-24 05:38:00

Thanks Connie for the reply. I lost mine again but I won't give up. I will buy another & try again. I love these little beauties but just don't have luck. Maybe this time I will stick with repotting them in the self watering pot & see if that work for me. Maybe someone else has had good luck & can share what they have done.
        Thanks again,
        Charmaine
        Edgewood, Maryland
      • African Violets
        Posted by Charmaine Tipton from Edgewood,Maryla on 2006-01-24 05:37:00

Thanks again,
        Charmaine
        Edgewood, Maryland
      • African Violets
        Posted by Charmaine Tipton from Edgewood,Maryla on 2006-01-24 05:23:00

Thanks again,
        Charmaine
        Edgewood, Maryland
      • African Violets
        Posted by Charmaine Tipton from Edgewood,Maryla on 2006-01-24 05:23:00

Thanks again,
        Charmaine
        Edgewood, Maryland
  • Violets
    Posted by Charmaine Tipton from Edgewood,Maryla on 2006-01-24 05:39:00

Thanks again,
    Charmaine
    Edgewood, Maryland
    • Violet care
      Posted by Veronica from Maryland on 2006-05-26 03:32:00

Hello, I have been growing afrocan violets for 5 years and I have had good luck, this is what I do: First they really need lots of light, that is the key for permanent blooms, I have mine in the kitchen window and they bloom all the time. I fertilize every time I water, you can buy liquid fertilizer for african violets, it is very inexpensive and it lasts for a long time, I repot them once a year in african violet potting soil. Yes you can cut some of the roots if your violet is old (2 years or 3) to rejuvenate it, the plant will be fine, do not over water, my method is thay I lift them up, if they feel light then I water, sometimes from the bottom sometimes from the top, I have never tried those self watering pots, I do not like them, I have some in clay pots some in plastic pots, and they always bloom. I love them they are a beautiful friend at home. good luck.
      Veronica
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —