Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Worried About New Jade Plant

Worried About New Jade Plant
Posted by Anna from NYC on 2005-06-19 10:07:00

We got a fairly big Jade plant in January. It is about 1 1/2 feet tall and 1 1/4 feet wide. It seemed to be doing okay, but recently it has started to drop a lot of leaves and a couple of the leads have brown patches, as if they are rotting or being eaten at (but there are no bugs or anything). The healthy leaves all look good and plump. We have been watering it once per week since it is summer, but we are sure the soil gets very dry in between each watering. We don't know if it needs more water, less water, more sunlight, less...etc...caring for a jade is very new to us and it seems like there may be something wrong. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
  • jade
    Posted by jeff (judy.kreutzer@comcast.com) from s.c. 29466 on 2005-11-27 07:08:00

i had the same problem with a jade several years ago because (as i learned later) i left it on a deck with a southern exposure with no relief from the sun except when it rained. talking about my jade with my neighbor across the street (we lived in ohio at the time) who had a jade about twice the size of yours. he kept his jade outside in a north facing direction during the summer and had beautiful healthy, dark green leaves as a result. i did the same with my jade the next year and enjoyed similar results. moderate leaf droppage is normal as the plant grows.

jade

• jade
    Posted by jeff (judy.kreutzer@comcast.com) from s.c. 29466 on 2005-11-27 07:07:00

i had the same problem with a jade several years ago because (as i learned later) i left it on a deck with a southern exposure with no relief from the sun except when it rained. talking about my jade with my neighbor across the street (we lived in ohio at the time) who had a jade about twice the size of yours. he kept his jade outside in a north facing direction during the summer and had beautiful healthy, dark green leaves as a result. i did the same with my jade the next year and enjoyed similar results. moderate leaf droppage is normal as the plant grows.

jade

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —