Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Houseplants

Houseplants
Posted by S from GA on 2005-06-15 09:46:00

Is it good to put houseplants outside for a short period of time to help them grow and remain healthy?

Is it ok if it rains on the plants while they are outside - I am afraid that it might be too much water for a houseplant
  • Oh wow,
    Posted by Fried Eggs (whoopswow@yahoo.com) from VA/7a on 2005-06-23 03:20:00

caution: if you have a shade loving houseplant, please do not put it in the sun! In fact, unless you have a solarium that you are growing it in, I would suggest any house plant should go in the shade.
  • Plants outside
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@Horticulturalhelp.com) from NY on 2005-06-15 09:37:00

Many people do move their plants outside in the warmer months. However, there are many risks associated with this.

A lot of rain over a period of time will keep the soil moist for too long and could cause root rot.

Exposing indoor plants to direct sunlight outside will cause the foliage to burn. It is best to keep the plants in shade when outdoors.

Some plants are easily damaged by strong winds, heavy downpours and hail.

Animals and plant pests are abundant outdoors.

For all those reasons, I don't recommend moving plants outside.

I have written an article on this subject that I will send you if you e-mail your request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Insiders' Plant Information

• Houseplants
    Posted by Cathy from OH on 2005-06-15 09:34:00

The fresh air will do them good!
    If you get quite a bit of rain on them, make sure they have good drainage. Also, I would see about limiting the amount of sun you give them if they aren't used to it. If they like low lights, put them in a shady area... high light, acclimate them to a sunny spot... All plants will need to be checked for watering regularly as they will dry out quicker outside in the heat and humidity.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —