Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Jade Plants keep dying

Jade Plants keep dying
Posted by b from NY on 2005-04-29 08:50:00

Can anyone give me some tips on how to care for Jade plants? I am on my fourth one (they are not standard, but variation jade plants). They each last about 4 months and then eventually, the leaves begin to brittle up, fall off and then parts of the stems start falling and the base 'trunk' gets soft and then it dies. I was told jades should be watered healthily once every three weeks and that they don't require direct sunlight. Is this true? What could be some remedies? # 4 is starting the same death process.. I'd love to save her.
Help!
  • jade
    Posted by Molly (Molly918@charter.net) from WI/4 on 2005-06-12 09:29:00

Hi,I've been propagating. I have read that you cut the piece off with a clean sharp knife, let sit for 2 days and then I put them in Schultz Cactus soil (Home Depot), keep in the dark for 2 days and then water lightly. Perhaps once monthly in the summer. Perhaps if you take a piece off of this Jade, if she does die you could start over. Good luck!
  • Jades
    Posted by Alice from Florida on 2005-06-10 09:00:00

Mine like afternoon sun and very little water. About as much as you would give a cactus. I find if I pamper them too much they die. Just leave them alone. Miracle Grow works good too.Just put it on the soil not the petals.Good Luck !!!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —