Archived Gardening Message Boards

Board: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

Original Message lemon trees
Hi Elizabeth,
Fruit trees from seed are a bit unreliable
as far as fruiting is concerned. They often take many years before they settle down to fruit and the fruit may not resemble the one you took the seeds from.
They are fun to grow though and I'm sure you will agree, they make handsome house plants.
Lemons and indeed all citrus fruits are prone to bugs. Give them a good washing down with soapy water. I use dilute washing up liquid and to avoid mess use the bathtub (when my wife is not at home!).
Burnt leaves: Usually this happens when you first put them out for the summer, they literally get sun burn. (Indoors they don't get uv rays through glass).
Next year avoid this by putting them somewhere shady outdoors for a few days before placing them in full sun.
Lemons are very hungry plants and they are one of the few houseplants that you
liquid feed all year round. It's worth while using a liquid fertilizer specifically for citrus plants.
Other than that make sure your lemons are in a bright ,sunny position both indoors and out.
Good luck,
Hugh

Reply To Message

Your Message:

Terms of Use

Reset form

* Required field
** E-mail address is required but will remain hidden unless you check the "show e-mail" box. You will receive an e-mail notification when someone replies to your message.

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —