Archived Gardening Message Boards

Board: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

Original Message deer repellant
Well Deeeeer,
I may have a great suggestion that a friend of mine used to keep the blue jays off of his fruit. He used RED PEPPER TEA, boiling red pepper and making a strong soup, then straining it and using a spray bottle, or large commercial sprayer, spray around on the areas that deer and other animals and birds can reach. This also works for yards that you don't want people letting their dogs poo in your yard. Dogs won't go there. Just sprinkle ground red pepper around where they climb on your grass and they stay away. Get the large pepper canisters at Sam's wholesale warehouse or a commercial wholesale supply house so you will get enough. Buy several of these canisters it takes a lot.
The friend was telling me that the blue jays would pick his plants clean and he never got to enjoy his crops. He sprayed the area with the pepper tea and a blue jay swooped down and grabbed one of the berries, carrying it off to the top of the fence to eat. In a few seconds it gave a squawk and wildly flapped its wings and jumped up and flew away. He was able to enjoy his hard work that year.
I guess I will have to use that method, this year for my grapes. I have two vines that finally produced really sweet grapes this last year the gardener came to my office and told me. I generally pick them with my 2 granddaughters and share them with the gardener and his children, when they are ready. Unfortunately, on one day the blue jays picked both vines clean and I was at market and could not get to them that day. When I got home, they were all picked clean by those blue Jays.

Reply To Message

Your Message:

Terms of Use

Reset form

* Required field
** E-mail address is required but will remain hidden unless you check the "show e-mail" box. You will receive an e-mail notification when someone replies to your message.

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —