Archived Gardening Message Boards

Board: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

Original Message Hydrangeas Not Flowering
It is early spring here in Va. Beach Va. I did not get around to cutting back any spent Flowers this late fall, however every one of my Hydrangeas have leafed out nicely and I will cut back any dead wood shortly. To get the flowers you should Fertilize shortly. I usually nake holes with a metal stake around the entire base of the plants so the Liquid Fertilizer will drain down to the root systems rather than run off and away from the root systems. I grow Hydrangeas and many other plants to sell so I get few Flowers as I take the Cuttings off the Plants prior to the Flower buds have a chance to develope.I Assume you know if you want Pink/Red Flowers you need to add Lime to the growing soil. Should you want Blue Flowers you need to add Aluminum Sulfate to the ground soil to make the soil more acid and therefore you will have deeper color blue flowers. Randy Gibbs in Va. Beach Va. randy_gibbs@hotmail.com

Reply To Message

Your Message:

Terms of Use

Reset form

* Required field
** E-mail address is required but will remain hidden unless you check the "show e-mail" box. You will receive an e-mail notification when someone replies to your message.

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —